Monday, November 14, 2011

LEGOs + Crafts = Wedding

While most people just have to worry about flowers from a florist for their decorations, we had a bit more to think of.

Everything about our wedding, other than the linens was created and/or purchased by us. It all started right after we got engaged. I decided I want something that lights up for our centerpieces, so we found cool fiber optic centerpieces online. We ordered thousands of LEGOs to put around the centerpieces along with who knows how much candy from Costco. Centerpieces were done, simple yet completely fun.

The centerpieces (this table had a lot more LEGOs) but you get the idea..

In addition to the centerpieces on the tables, there were the favors, which were nothing more than cute little frosted chinese take-out boxes with a note in them. Sounds lame, but I figured it simplified the process by just allowing people to take what they wanted as a favor. We didn't have to pre-pack candy or legos in boxes, it became each persons own choice.

You are probably thinking the decorations were all as easy as what I've written about above....wrong. Those were the simple things and there were some simple signs just printed with a red border, but everything else was outrageously work involved starting with our invitations, through the table names and usher cards.

All of the usher cards with a LEGO figure for each person :-)

I'm not sure when the idea arose or how I even thought of it, but some time about 2 years ago after buying the red and black paper I was thinking through design options and came up with this great idea to rivet everything together. I will admit that everything that was riveted together looked cool, but Kevin will tell you how much of a hassle it was to make all of them (and I don't disagree). For everything we had to punch each layer of paper separately while keeping them so they would all line up and they we had to align everything and rivet. Sounds simple, until you have to this well over 10,000 times. You heard me right, between the invitations, response cards, table name signs, usher cards, and thank you cards (don't forget the mess-ups too) it was tens of thousands of hole punches that had to be made. Kevin was a trooper and we somehow got it all done. Everyone was amazed with the design and wanted to know how we did it. I am glad all of that torture and work paid off and made everything awesome.

Table Name Sign on our table.....more rivets

The last big crafty project we had was the chuppah, or should I say "wedding house." We had agreed early on to have one, but didn't want to have a quilt for the top. So I decided to sew all of the fabric ourselves. I must have thought I was some sort of Martha Stewart sewing wonder, because this process turned out to be a nightmare. Originally it was going to be red on the inside and black on the outside, but I quickly gave up dealing with two layers of fabric and we settled on solid black. After hours of ironing on stitch-witchery (so I wouldn't have to sew) we finally had some semblance of a chuppah. In the end, it didn't line up perfectly, but it was good enough for the purpose we intended. In the end I am glad that I made the fabric structure, but I don't plan on doing it again.

Our Chuppah - simple and not perfect, but it worked :-)

Needless to say, it was a long process of arts and crafts that took months and months to complete, but in the end it all looked AWESOME. It was so wonderful to see people notice all the small details and tell us how cool everything was. We couldn't ask for more.

We can only hope that arts and crafts from here on out will not involve repeating each step 10,000 times, or any riveted. I think we have fulfilled our rivet quota for life. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment